SQL DB Developer
A software company that provides clinical software solutions to the healthcare sector is seeking a permanent SQL DB Developer with a minimum of 4+ years’ commercial experience to help undertake SQL DB development, support and maintenance work for it’s core product and work closely with the development teams.
The role involves developing, maintaining, troubleshooting and optimising the SQL server instances and will provide an opportunity to work in an agile environment with software designed for critical systems used in the NHS involving large transactional data through the use of API’s and web technology.
The role will involve an element of 3rd / 4th line assistance to help with the resolution of support calls and will require some data migration and major site upgrade work.
Purpose & main responsibilities
- Managing the development and optimisation of Core and bespoke Databases in SQL Server including any implementation of new technologies
- Assist with any maintenance and support of Core and bespoke Databases in SQL Server including investigating any 3rd / 4th line support calls
- Triage assigned support incidents. Ensure that work on defect resolution does not impact on agreed product deliverables
- Provide technical expertise when required to the development team in matters related to SQL Server
- Develop product expertise in your areas of responsibility such that you can act as the go-to expert from a DB perspective for multiple areas of the core product set
- Ability to liaise with internal staff and customers at all levels (technical and non-technical) to ensure that development meets the requirements of the client
- Escalate incidents/problems to Product Owners / Line managers where required and provide appropriate solutions
- Through the agile process, provide timely and accurate reporting of assigned work status as required through our internal JIRA system, reporting risks and issues
- Taking part in all agile meetings and processes where necessary
- Any other activities in support of the business which can reasonably be expected to fall within the capabilities of the employee
Education & experience
Key skills required
- BSC or equivalent in a software engineering or DB discipline and / or professional qualifications appropriate to DB engineering roles such as the MCDBA or recent MCSE: Data Platform
- Experience of working with large transactional databases
- Excellent knowledge of the SQL Database Engine including Strong T-SQL Experience (creating /administrating stored procedures, scripts, functions, triggers and other objects)
- Excellent performance tuning skills (experience of Query Tuning, Indexing, Locking etc.)
- Excellent communication skills - both to a technical and non-technical audience.
- Ability to work in a team environment with people of different skill-sets ranging from junior to senior levels.
- Experience in engaging at a commercial level with internal staff both technical and non-technical
- Experience of database release / upgrades with product releases
- Extensive experience of working with Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008/2012/2014/2016
- Experience in database installation, backup, restore and maintenance
- Experience of Source Control
- Experience of MS SQL Azure and data migration experience of SQL on-prem to SQL Azure advantageous
- Data Warehouse development, ETL and transformation into conformed design
- Practical experience and knowledge of the Microsoft stack
- Understanding of relational database design & dimensional Data-modelling
- Some experience of using Visual Studio desirable (e.g. for debugging)
- Knowledge of NOSQL / Document DBs advantageous
- Knowledge of 3rd party toolkits e.g. RedGate
- Understanding of formal DB development and administration methodologies.
- Domain or Product expertise in IT Healthcare would be advantageous but not essential
Please apply in writing, sending a covering letter & CV to firstname.lastname@example.org