As a Lead Developer you will be the technical authority for your module(s) by guiding and steering your team to delivering relevant technical solutions based on good software engineering principles, best practices and your knowledge and experience. In doing this you will help bridge the gap between how user stories are translated into the code that is delivered by your team at the end of each sprint.
Under the guidance of the System, Enterprise and Software Architects, you will help establish the technical vision for your area and work with the rest of the team to turn it into reality.
Along the way, you will challenge your team to do better by motivating them to deliver high quality code that is bug free, effective, robust and performant.
- Provide hands-on technical leadership to your team ensuring software is designed developed and unit tested according to good software engineering principles. Coach individual team members as required to drive up delivery capabilities.
- Develop product expertise in your areas of responsibility, such that you can act as the product expert from a development perspective and help to set the product direction.
- Help drive continuous improvements to the codebase including the recovery of technical debt.
- Contribute to development effort as a hands-on developer within your team.
- Ensure team members have a comprehensive understanding of what tasks they are assigned, how these tasks fit into the bigger product release roadmap, what the expectations are for the team in terms of deadlines, and drive the ongoing progression of these tasks to meet agreed deadlines.
- Ensure code reviews and unit testing are completed for your team, and that these are consistently following departmental guidelines. Where no formal guidelines exist, work with peers to formulate and enforce such guidelines.
- Contribute to support of live systems with regards to investigating and finding solutions to defects and be part of the on-call Rota supporting clients 24hrs a day.
- Drive triage of assigned software defects, agreeing priority with the Product Owner and Release Management.
- Influence colleagues at the portfolio level on areas of potential product improvements.
- Work the teams to enhance the scalability and performance of your module whilst delivering customer requirements quickly, reliably and efficiently.
- Ensure the architectural integrity of the system is maintained in-line with the System Cs architecture and UX standards.
- Ability to analyse and improve process flows within the team to improve efficiency.
- Any other activities in support of the business which can reasonably be expected to fall within the capabilities of the employee.
Education & Experience:
Whilst it is accepted that the individual education and experience profile for Senior Developers will vary, the following is provided as a guideline:
- BSC or equivalent in a software engineering discipline.
- Professional qualifications appropriate to software engineering roles.
- Significant development experience with excellent software engineering skills and specialist knowledge in several technical areas.
- Highly experienced in working within an Agile development framework and relevant associated tool sets such as JIRA
- Experience of working with integrated software solutions and being able to effectively communicate and establish relationships within several teams within the business.
- Good communication skills enabling positive collaboration with functions outside development.
- Good leadership skills and experience of leading small discrete teams of engineers in successfully delivering software development projects.
- Experience of formal software development and testing methodologies.
- Good understanding of principles, theories, practices and techniques for managing activities involved in planning and delivering software development projects.
- Domain or Product expertise in multiple key areas associated with the role is essential.
- Experience developing public facing Web Based APIs
- Strong experience with cloud technologies ideally (Microsoft Azure including, SQL Azure, App Services, Service Bus, Azure Functions, Azure Storage)
- C# .Net development
- SQL development
- RavenDB 3.5 experience (desired but not essential)
- C# .Net Core experience (desired but not essential)
Please apply in writing, sending a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org