Senior SQL DBA / Developer
A healthcare software company that provides solutions to the NHS is seeking a Senior SQL DB Developer to join their team.
The role, based in our Milton Keynes office, will involve leading on the architecture, development and maintenance of the databases used within our core product which has evolved over the last 20 years.
The ideal candidate will be working with our Agile Development teams. They will be passionate about technology and will perform a critical role in the ongoing development of our core products by providing expertise on the back end data tier which includes the efficient access and storage of application data.
They will have experience working with complex databases that typically exceed 1TB in size, and be familiar with ETL / ELT processes, producing queries to create performant API’s and Apps and have a good understanding and experience of migrating solutions to the cloud in SQL Azure.
The role will also involve an element of mentoring other DB developers within the team as well as getting involved with resolving any 3rd / 4th line support calls including providing assistance to our operational DBAs with complex data migration and major site upgrade work.
Purpose & main responsibilities
- Provide technical expertise to the development team in matters related to SQL Server and database design as well as SQL Azure DB design
- Customer focussed, attention to detail and good organisation skills is a must as well as being able to work under pressure
- Develop product expertise such that you can act as the go-to expert from a DB perspective for multiple areas of the core product set for the development and architect team
- Managing the development and optimisation of Core and bespoke Databases in SQL Server including any implementation of new features / technologies
- Ability to liaise with internal staff and customers at all levels (technical and non-technical) to ensure that development meets the requirements of the client
- Escalate incidents/problems to Product Owners / Line managers where required and provide appropriate solutions
- Through the agile process, provide timely and accurate reporting of assigned work status as required through our development tracking tool (ideally JIRA), reporting risks and issues
- Taking part in all agile meetings and processes where necessary
- Assist with any maintenance and support of Core and bespoke Databases in SQL Server including investigating any 3rd / 4th line support calls
- Triage assigned support incidents. Ensure that work on defect resolution does not impact on agreed product deliverables
- Any other activities in support of the business which can reasonably be expected to fall within the capabilities of the employee
Education and experience
Key Skills Required
- BSC or equivalent in a software engineering or DB discipline and/or professional qualifications appropriate to the DB engineering roles e.g. Microsoft SQL certs
- Experience of working with large transactional databases (1TB+)
- Excellent knowledge of the SQL Database Engine including Strong T-SQL Experience (creating/administrating stored procedures, scripts, functions, triggers and other objects)
- Excellent performance tuning skills (experience of Query Tuning, Indexing, Locking etc.)
- Experience of working with SQL Server service broker
- Have an understanding of C#, .net, XML, JSON
- Regularly testing key functions and procs in the DB to ensure data integrity and stability
- Excellent communication skills - both to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to work in a team environment with people of different skill-sets ranging from junior to senior levels including coordinating with offshore resources
- Experience in engaging at a commercial level with internal staff both technical and non-technical
- Experience of database release and upgrades with product releases
- Experience of using Source Control (Bitbucket) and JIRA for workload management
- Extensive experience of working with Microsoft SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016 +
- Experience in database installation, backup, restore and maintenance, clustering
- Experience of MS SQL Azure / Azure services and projects involving migration of solutions to the cloud
- Practical experience of working with NOSQL / Document DBs advantageous e.g. RavenDB, Mongo, Cosmos
- Domain or Product expertise in IT Healthcare would be advantageous
- Experience of using Visual Studio (e.g. for debugging code)
- Knowledge of 3rd party toolkits e.g. RedGate
Please apply in writing, sending a covering letter & CV to email@example.com