As a Scrum Master, you will spend much of your time coordinating activities that assist the Agile team in meeting their delivery goals, removing impediments to sprint progress, and ensuring they follow the agreed agile processes in the delivery of working software to internal and external customers.
You will facilitate the team by arranging and leading daily stand-ups, sprint planning and backlog refinement sessions, end of sprint demonstrations and retrospectives. Moreover, you will drive, track and communicate the progress of PIs, sprints and releases through team updates and by representing the team at the scrum-of-scrums.
The role of Scrum Master will also include any other activities in support of the business which can reasonably be expected to fall within the capabilities of the employee.
- Help Builds a high-performing team – Focuses on ever-improving team dynamics and performance and coaches the team in self-management. Helps the team resolve interpersonal conflicts and challenges and identify opportunities for growth.
- Escalates people problems to management where necessary, but only after internal team processes have failed to resolve the issue; helps individuals.
- Leads team efforts in constant improvement – Helps the team improve and take responsibility for their actions; facilitates the team retrospective. Teaches problem-solving techniques and helps the team become better problem-solvers for themselves. Encourage and suggest use of metric and analytical tools to gain potential team and software improvement insights.
- Facilitates the removal of impediments – Many blocking issues will be beyond the team’s authority or may require support from other teams. The Scrum Master supports the team in addressing and eliminating these issues to improve the likelihood of achieving the objectives of the Iteration.
- Facilitates the team’s progress toward team goals – The Scrum Master is trained as a team facilitator and is continuously engaged in challenging the old norms of development to improve performance in the areas of quality, predictability, flow, and velocity. They help the team focus on creating increments of value each iteration and achieving daily and Iteration Goals in the context of the current Program Increment (PI) Objectives.
- Promotes SAFe quality practices – SAFe provides guidance to assist the teams in constantly improving the quality of their deliverables and meeting the Definition of Done (DoD)
- Support team rules – The rules of an Agile Team are lightweight, but they are rules nonetheless, and the Scrum Master is responsible for reinforcing them. These may include the rules of Scrum, Time logging, Work in Process (WIP) limits and any other process rules the team has agreed.
- Supports estimating – Guides the team in establishing normalized estimates and helps the team understand how to estimate Features and Capabilities.
- Coordinates with other teams – The Scrum Master supports the team’s efforts to continuously improve communications and relationships with other teams. Represent the team in the Scrum of Scrums (SoS), helping the team remain aware of opportunities to engage and improve program effectiveness
- Responsibilities to RTE – The Scrum Master helps coordinate inter-team cooperation and helps the team operate well on the release train.
- Supports SAFe adoption – The Scrum Master supports the overall adoption of SAFe across the enterprise.
- Facilitates preparation and readiness for ART events – Assists the team in preparation for ART activities, including PI Planning, System Demos, and the Inspect and Adapt.
Acting as a “servant leader”, the Scrum Master provides services to three distinct functions as described below.
Scrum Master Service to the Product Owner
The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including:
- Assisting with techniques for effective Team Backlog management. – can include facilitating backlog refinement sessions;
- Helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise Team Backlog items;
- Understanding product planning in an empirical environment.
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed.
Scrum Master Service to the Scrum Development Team
The Scrum Master serves the Scrum Development Team in several ways, including:
- Coaching and assisting the Scrum Development Team in self-organisation, cross-functionality; dependency mitigation and planning.
- Removing impediments to the Scrum Development Team’s progress;
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed.
Scrum Master Service to the Organisation
The Scrum Master serves the organisation in several ways, including:
- Leading and coaching the organisation in its Scrum adoption;
- Planning. ART;
- Helping employees and stakeholders understand and enact Scrum and empirical product development;
- Increases the productivity of the Scrum Team,
- Collaboration with other Scrum Masters to increase the effectiveness of Scrum in the organisation.
- Help ensure compliance with company standards, processes and guidelines to ensure consistent execution of the SAFe/Scrum methodology.
- Collaborating with Product Owners to ensure technical debt and architectural runway items are included and appropriately prioritised on the Team Backlog.
Education, Skills and Experience:
Whilst it is accepted that the individual education and experience profile for Scrum Masters will vary, the following is provided as a guideline:
- Degree or equivalent in a business or IT related discipline or equivalent professional experience in a software development environment.
- Certified Scrum Master training
- A thorough understanding of the SAFe/Scrum methodology supported by the skills to guide and coach teams in the application of the methodology.
- Strong organisational, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage, influence, negotiate and collaborate with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong decision-making skills.
Please apply in writing, sending a covering letter & CV to firstname.lastname@example.org