Product Owner - Contractor
Work in an Agile Development Team, taking ownership of the team backlog and priorities and driving sprint planning in order to deliver maximum value into the product within the constraints of the team capacity and the Program Increment Objectives. You will collaborate with Product Management in the definition of overall product vision and establishing Program Increment Objectives for your areas of responsibility. The role is office based co-located with the Agile Team, but may involve occasional travel as required to meet the needs of the business.
- Drive the development of a new product and grow expertise in this area of responsibility. Act as the go to expert within the development organization from a planning and priority perspective.
- Manage the Agile Team level Backlog to ensure a well-defined and prioritized pipeline of work items is available for each sprint planning session. This will include close collaboration with your Scrum Master and Agile Team members in regular backlog refinements sessions as well as collaboration with other stakeholders as required. Backlog management will include:
- Break down larger EPICs, Features and User Stories into User Stories sized appropriately for development requirements (small enough to complete within a sprint)
- Prioritize work items on the backlog on an ongoing basis to ensure an ordered backlog is available for sprint planning
- Assist in functional design to ensure the required collateral is produced in support of requirements transferred from Program level
- Collaborate with the Agile Team to ensure all work items on the backlog have suitable effort estimates
- Act as gatekeeper for accepting requirements and defects onto the backlog from Deployment, Support, Product Management, Release Management and the Agile Team.
- Ensure UX design standards are appropriately applied to UI development
- Ensure a balance aligned with SAFE recommendations and current company strategy is maintained on the backlog with regard to new features, bugfixes and technical debt.
- Ensure all user stories have sufficient acceptance criteria defined to enable development and from which test cases can be derived
- Work with Scrum Master(s) to drive sprint delivery and protect the Agile Team and the sprint plan from un-necessary changes and interruptions.
- Work with the SME(s) to monitor and maintain the 3rd line support queue(s), escalating calls to 4th line where applicable.
- Collaborate with Product Management to define the vision for the product(s) and module(s) within your areas of responsibility.
- Influence colleagues in Product Management on areas of potential product improvements.
- Contribute to the multi-functional project team in planning the scope and schedule for releases and defining the associated Program Increment Objectives.
- Timely and accurate reporting of assigned work status as required by your Manager, reporting risks and issues as they arise.
- Achieve agreed productivity targets in order to ensure tasks are delivered to schedule, reporting as early as possible to team Management where deliverables cannot be met.
- Work with the Agile team to achieve excellent levels of product quality
- Work with the Agile team to produce any required documentation and training materials for the product(s) within your areas of responsibility
- Liaise with the offshore development teams to ensure that requirements are fully understood, accepted and delivered to the standards expected by customers.
- Any other activities in support of the business which can reasonably be expected to fall within the capabilities of the employee.
Education, Skills and Experience
Whilst it is accepted that the individual education and experience profile for Product Owner will vary, the
following is provided as a guideline:
- Degree or equivalent in a business or IT related discipline or equivalent professional experience in a software development environment.
- At least 2 years Product Owner experience
- Strong organisational, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience of working with offshore and/or outsourced development teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage, influence, negotiate and collaborate with a variety of stakeholders with often conflicting priorities and requirements.
- Strong analytical and decision making skills.
- Demonstrable understanding of Scrum and SAFE methodologies.
- Desirable to have previous healthcare domain experience with an understanding of healthcare IT solutions and operational practises.
Please apply in writing, sending a covering letter & CV to firstname.lastname@example.org