Functional Test Lead
Work in an Agile Development Team, with responsibility for assuring the high quality of software prior to external release. Functional Test Leads collaborate with QA analysts, automation engineers, developers, support and the product teams to drive forwards and improve the quality of both manual and automated QA. The role will require someone to not only be an amazing QA, but also be able to lead, support and train the team to achieve a unified goal whilst at the same time provide quality reports and metrics to stakeholders.
Functional Leads will need to develop strong knowledge across the entire Product in order to support flexibility within the teams and provide broader product knowledge.
- In collaboration with the Product Team, assist with the sourcing of test scripts and population and maintenance of automated testing under the direction of the test automation specialists.
- Collaboration with members of your Agile team to ensure software delivered by each sprint and each integration test meets both functional and non-functional requirements.
- In collaboration with the QA Analysts, creation and execution of test scripts, recording outcome of tests, reporting defects and identifying opportunities for product improvement.
- In collaboration with the QA Analysts, definition and execution of increasingly complex workflow and scenario testing.
- Execution of ad-hoc testing as required to meet the test plan.
- Work with Agile team to improve quality of coverage of test scripts
- Work with Agile team to establish standards for creating and maintaining test sets
- Peer-review creation of the scripts and test sets
- Perform spot-check to ensure test sets are updated when required
- Creation and maintenance of suitable test environments for all software testing to take place. This includes the set-up of the software being tested and populating or configuring test data. This may extend to testing of interaction with devices e.g. printers, bar coding, dictation devices, medical devices. Testing of interfaces and integration with other modules, products or interface test harnesses.
- Perform static testing and impact assessment of Design and Change Request documentation.
- Collaboration with members of your Agile team to ensure all user stories have sufficient acceptance criteria defined, from which test cases will be derived.
- Analysis of customer support issues escalated to 4th line.
- Timely and accurate reporting of assigned work status as required by your team and/or manager, reporting risks and issues as they arise.
- Achieve agreed productivity targets in order to ensure tasks are delivered to schedule, reporting as early as possible to team or manager where delivery milestones cannot be met.
- Work with the Agile team to achieve excellent levels of product quality prior to external release.
- Work with the Agile team to produce any required documentation and training materials for the product(s) within your areas of responsibility.
- Develop expertise in multiple Product modules such that you can influence and guide the development and QA activities for those modules.
- Take ownership of planning, tracking and reporting of test executions for defined product releases for one or more modules.
- Contribute to definition and continuous improvement of test related systems, processes and workflows across teams.
- Any other activities in support of the business which can reasonably be expected to fall within the capabilities of the employee.
Education, skills and experience
Whilst it is accepted that the individual education and experience profile for Functional Test Leads will vary, the following is provided as a guideline:
- Degree or equivalent in a business or IT related discipline or equivalent professional experience in a software testing environment.
- Professional software testing qualification e.g., ISTQB certificate in software testing – practitioner level
- Minimum of 6 years commercial software testing experience
- Technical testing skills and ability to test below the GUI of applications
- Four or more from the following list:
- More than 1 year software testing in an agile environment
- Creating SQL queries to interrogate/update a database
- Understanding and experience of API testing tools such as Postman
- Experience of working with Development teams to test using test harnesses
- The ability to test the engine of the software, testing the rules, logic, and data flow below the GUI.
- The ability to step through developer demos on Developer PCs, as well as feeling confident to step through Unit tests with developers.
- Testing the integration hooks between modules, applications, and systems.
Please apply in writing, sending a covering letter & CV to email@example.com